Thursday, November 5, 2009

Fear of Earthquake


We have been told to run out of the building if there is an earthquake tonight.

We had two earthquakes already today - one around 5:30pm, and another around 8pm. They were both of about 5 magnitude. The first was the biggest Taiwan has had since the huge gigantic one in 99 that destroyed so many cities and took so many lives (but that magnitude was about double the size).

At 5:30pm - I was in the bedroom lying down while Ivan was out in the streets.

Ivan's experience: "I was with some kids. I saw the bus shaking. I also saw the lamp post shaking. Then we laughed"
My experience: "Everything was shaking under my butt, I thought Ivan was trying to come through the door but then realised noone was there and it wasn't just the door shaking, it was the walls as well. I waited for about 7 seconds, then thought to myself, I should get up and get out of the building before the roof falls on me. But then, as I was JUST about to get up, the shaking subsided. "Meh" I thought. Last time there was an earthquake I slept through it - it can't be that much of a big deal."

Now tonight we sleep in paranoia.

No comments:

Post a Comment